The History of the Poulsen Light
The Poulsen Light, also known as the PH Artichoke, is an iconic piece of Danish design created by Poul Henningsen in 1958. It was originally designed for Langelinie Pavilion, a restaurant in Copenhagen, and has since become a treasured fixture in homes and businesses around the world. Its unique design features of 72 overlapping leaves, each carefully placed to diffuse and direct light downwards, produces an extraordinary lighting effect.
Why Replicate the Poulsen Light?
The original Poulsen Light is a work of art and is priced accordingly, which makes it difficult for many people to own. However, with the availability of high-quality replicas, anyone can enjoy the beauty and functionality of this unique fixture at a more affordable price. Replicating the Poulsen Light is also a fun and challenging DIY project, and the end result is a stunning work of art that you can be proud of.
Materials and Tools Needed
To create a replica of the Poulsen Light, the following materials and tools are required:
- 72 sheets of 8.5″x11″ tracing paper
- Drum shade frame
- Glue (preferably a spray adhesive)
- Sharp scissors or precision cutting tool
- Pencil and ruler
- Craft knife or rotary cutter
- Light kit with bulbs
The Manufacturing Process
- First, the drum shade frame should be assembled according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Next, trace the leaf pattern onto the tracing paper. You can find the patterns online or create your own.
- Using sharp scissors or a precision cutting tool, cut out the leaf patterns.
- Using a ruler and pencil, mark the halfway point on the bottom of each leaf pattern.
- Apply a thin coat of glue to the back of the bottom half of each leaf pattern, and attach it to the top half of the adjacent pattern. Be sure to align the edges of the patterns carefully.
- Repeat the previous step until all 72 leaf patterns are attached to each other.
- Attach the completed leaf pattern to the drum shade frame with glue or a spray adhesive.
- Once the leaf pattern is attached to the frame, install the light kit according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Test the light to be sure the bulbs are working properly.
- Your Poulsen Light replica is now ready to hang and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- When cutting out the leaf patterns, it’s important to cut carefully and precisely to ensure good quality results.
- Always align the edges of the leaf patterns carefully to prevent gaps or misalignments.
- Use a high-quality spray adhesive for best results.
- Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions when assembling the drum shade frame and installing the light kit.
- Consider adding a dimmer switch to the light kit to provide additional versatility and control over the lighting effects.